Search This Blog

We thank Thee for Thy Abundance

We thank Thee for Thy Abundance
Genesis 1:29

Saturday, March 5, 2016

WFPB CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

How this recipe came about will forever hold a special place in my heart. 

I had to teach an Eating the Word of Wisdom Way class last night, and I was inspired last minute to demonstrate how easy it is to make healthy and delicious treats BECAUSE... I had recently asked my ward family on our ward Facebook page to PLEASE bring healthy treats to church and church activities instead of the common processed, high in saturated fats and cholesterol treats, because we NOW KNOW that these things are truly harmful substances for our bodies. 

I decided to make Chocolate Chip Cookies.

I searched for a couple of hours online for a recipe that was WFPB, made without oil that was vegan, and that used only whole wheat flour. I could not find a perfect one.... 
I finally decided on one that had as close to the ingredients I was searching for but I knew that I would need Heavenly Father's help to adapt it.

They could NOT be a flop since I only had a few hours to prepare them before the class.

I prayed earnestly asking for Heavenly Father's help to make them turn out perfectly.

I substituted the same amount of peanut butter for the oil. While tasting the dough, I felt that it needed more vanilla so... I added more, WAY more, tripling it. I thought it needed salt since the recipe didn't call for it, then more sweetener, "How about maple syrup?"... "Perhaps it's missing a brown sugary taste?"... I knew that adding these things could have had dire consequences...but having asked in faith I trusted. 

Well...they turned out better than perfect!! 

My youngest daughters close school friends were over and came down to have some. They had NO CLUE that they were healthier cookies. When I told them they said, "NO WAY!! These are SO good! I wish my mom would make these!" HaHa! I'll have to give them this link! ;)



CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Preheat oven to 350*

In a bowl combine and mix dry ingredients:

2 c. Whole Wheat Pastry Flour (here is a great gluten free recipe)
1 c. Sucanat, Date Sugar, or Coconut Sugar
1 t. Baking Powder
1 t. Baking Soda
3/4 t. Sea Salt
1 T. Ground Flax 

In another bowl combine and mix wet ingredients well:

1 c. Organic Apple Sauce
2 T. Organic Almond or Peanut Butter
1 T. Vanilla
1/4 c. Maple Syrup
1/2 t. Molasses 

Add to dry ingredients then mix in:

2 c. Sunspire Chocolate Chips  or any chip alternative.
(I had used the vegan ones from Costco (because I still have a bag...) but I won't be buying them any longer since they are made with processed sugar. 

1/2 c. Walnuts (optional)

Scoop onto cookie sheet lined with either parchment paper or silicone baking liners.

Bake until edges turn slightly golden. Watch them. I baked mine for 16 minutes at high altitude.




These are the ones I made that had flax and walnuts. 



These are the ones I made without flax or walnuts.


Display for my class.



THESE ARE SO GOOD!! I definitely don't recommend eating these all of the time... BUT, for a special occasion they are such a wonderful healthier alternative to the processed, artery clogging, disease promoting versions popular in today's society.

It, once again, goes to show that you CAN make whole food, plant based, no oil vegan versions of the foods you grew up eating. 

I am SO thankful that Heavenly Father helped me create this recipe. Praise Him.

Enjoy with love,
RMM









No comments:

Post a Comment